If you’ve ever been to any of the Great American Chain Restaurants or The Great Harvest Bread Co, then you’ve heard of Ozzie Roles. They are soft, doughy and slightly sweet. They are the perfect dinner role when served with honey butter.
I’ve tried to re-create these here in this recipe.
What You Need
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar (plus a little extra)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 stick of butter, melted
- 2 tbsp. active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 2 tbsp. water
- 2 mixing bowls and spoons
- Baking sheets
- Wok or skillet
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1/4 honey
How To Do It
1. In one bowl, mix yeast, milk, water and 1 tbsp. sugar. Allow to sit for 7-8 minutes or until frothy.
3. Once frothy, pour yeast mixture into other remaining ingredients.
4. Heat canola oil in Wok or skillet. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
5. Break ozzie roll dough into small pieces. Place the dough into the hot oil. Careful because they brown very quickly. Honestly, 10-15 seconds is all it takes.
6. Place fried dough balls onto baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes.
7. Make honey butter by melting butter and mixing in the honey. Brush over all sides of your ozzie rolls. Serve hot.
Makes approximately 24 small ozzie rolls.