This recipe was a complete accident. With one hour to bake and no time to run to the grocery store, I had to be downright resourceful with these cupcakes. I replaced the oil that the original recipe initially called for with a much healthier secret ingredient instead (not saying these are heart healthy, but they are delicious).
What You’ll Need:
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water
- *1/2 can Libby’s pureed pumpkin
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup chocolate syrup
- handful of chocolate chips for garnish
- Cream cheese frosting (either homemade or from a can)
How To Do It:
- Pre-heat the oven according to the directions on the cake mix package.
- Run the cake mix through a sifter a few times to get rid of all of the lumps. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine all wet ingredients.
- Fold cake mix and cocoa powder into the wet ingredients until the batter reaches an appropriate consistency.
- Pour cake batter into a pan with cupcake liners and bake for the designated amount of time, as indicated on the box.
- Let cool for at least thirty minutes.
- Ice with cream cheese frosting and garnish with a sprinkle of cocoa powder and large chocolate chips.
- Serve and enjoy!
Share on Pinterest!